Waste Management process

First You MUST Get A Permit

The Permit indicates the kind of waste and how you plan to dispose of it.

For oil wells, the options are:

  • Send waste to a waste treatment plant which has a permit to process the type of waste you are generating.
  • Get a permit to treat the waste until it is safe to discharge (anything left over after treatment must be sent to a permitted landfill or incinirator.)
  • Get a permit to dig a well to send waste water deep underground (need additional permit from EPA)

There are NO EXCEPTIONS.  Anything else is illegal dumping. EPA and DEEP have inspectors throughout the state to monitor and enforce this. Violators are subject to criminal prosecution.

How We Allow Some Waste To Be Reused

In Connecticut, recycling waste requires an additional permit and a "Beneficial Use Determination" (BUD) from the Connecticut DEEP.

Getting a BUD is difficult and expensive and requires disclosure of all contents of the waste and then is only allowed if "the commissioner finds that such solid waste can be reused without harming or presenting a threat of harm to public health, safety or the environment."

See CT DEEP Web Site for More Info.

What About "Secret Fracking Chemicals"?

Ohio DEP, Pennsylvania DEP as well as the SRBC and DRBC REQUIRE disclosure of all chemicals used in oil and gas production in the region. "Proprietary" chemicals must be disclosed and are then given code numbers.

Separately, CT requires WEEKLY complete chemical analysis and reporting of the composition of any shale oil and gas wastewater as part of any permit to treat such wastes within the state.

What about "Exclusions"

Exclusions don't allow "dumping"

The EPA excludes some wastes from automatic labeling as "Hazardous." This exclusion applies to SOME of the waste streams from many industries, including:  

  • Agriculture
  • Mining
  • Household Waste
  • Cement Production

BUT, excluded waste must still follow the permit process described above.  And even waste which is not automatically classified as hazardous must still be tested for hazardous levels of toxins, and then treated at specialized facilities if toxins are found. 

Any waste producer that misidentifies waste or disposes of waste improperly is subject to criminal prosecution.

We are protected

Agencies Protecting US


EPA says:  "For example, oil and gas exploration and production wastes are subject to regulation under the Clean Air Act (CAA), Clean Water Act (CWA), Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), and Oil Pollution Act of 1990 (OPA)."

Many other agencies also protect us.  FDA and USDA monitor our food, CDC and NIH monitor our health, EIA and NCRP monitor energy production and radiation exposure.


The Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC) and Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) regulate and monitor our local food and water supplies.


The Connecticut DEEP regulates and monitors Connecticut soil and water.

And, since there is no oil or gas in Connecticut, we are also protected by NY DEP and PA DEP.  

Before any waste from drilling in NY or PA can leave those states, it must pass EPA, SRBC, DRBC, NY and PA DEP regulations and licensing and certification requirements. Then it would still have to meet CT requirements.